The 2020 Hume Football season will not have a premier this season after the Hume board decided to abandon the premiership season last week.
Clubs voted not to extend the season into October which would have potentially enabled a shortened season where every club played each other once plus finals.
In a resounding outcome clubs voted nine to three. Osborne, Culcairn and Lockhart were the only clubs to vote for extended season.
Lockhart president Bob Mathews has called for an extraordinary meeting to sort out the future of the Hume League season.
Mathews and Osborne president Jason Gooden are leading the charge to overturn the decision from the Hume League board not to play for a premiership in 2020.
The decision has been met with harsh criticism from Lockhart and Osborne, who explained that Thursday's announcement was not what clubs voted on.
"It's a decision that hasn't actually been made. It's not correct. We may need to have an extraordinary meeting to clarify it," Mathews said.
"It wasn't a meeting of the presidents. It was a Hume League meeting. Do we want to go into October was the only question that we were asked," Gooden said.
League president Brendan I'Anson said the league was then forced to make the tough call of not awarding a premiership due to time constraints.
"If football starts there won't be enough time for clubs to play each other once plus finals and finish before October," I'Anson said.
"It doesn't mean there won't be football this season because clubs are still keen to explore other options to play later in the year.
The decision caused some discontent with both Osborne and Lockhart disappointed there was not more consultation to make the call.
In other news
The clubs said they were asked to vote on not extending the season into October - not to vote on the season being cancelled.
The decision also dismayed the clubs when they found out via online and not through the official channels of the league.
I'Anson conceded that the decision was not intended to be announced in this manner and that the board had underestimated the timeline of the media announcement.
In a statement released by the board I'Anson outlined several reasons given why the decision was made quickly.
"A lot of the clubs in the Hume FNL are hurting financially with little or no sponsorship money and our decision gives them options" said I'Anson.
"We still have no start time for the season and until that is provided via information from NSW health it is very hard to plan anything"
"The Hume FNL is all about family's enjoying sports on all levels, to me personally the kids are the priority and we will have games of netball and football as soon as we can".
The board said that other formats are still open for clubs to play, but for the 2020 season it will not have a premier.
I'Anson also is concerned that the recently released COVID safety regulations and protocols forced upon sporting clubs are going to be another test for clubs.
The Hume FNL biggest issue remains in and around the restrictions on crowd gatherings at outdoor events.
On any given day of a Hume FNL round, crowds of between 800 and 1000 people turn out, made up of participants, officials, volunteers and supporters.
The current restrictions are well below this point and the likelihood of the restrictions being lifted above 500 for a start appear months away still.
Whilst the decision has certainly caused some angst among clubs and mostly in and around the announcement process it looks most likely to be a correct one.
Feedback from a football forum on weekend radio out of Albury strongly swayed to a cancelled season in the opinions of presidents, players and volunteers.