THE Holbrook residents whose homes have tested positive to loose-fill asbestos may form a support group as they go through the long government program.
Greater Hume general manager Steven Pinnuck told Thursday’s community forum at Holbrook Shire Hall this idea had been raised by the affected homeowners.
NSW loose-fill asbestos taskforce head Joe D’Ermilio outlined the background to the state government’s program and the type of assistance available to those whose homes will be demolished.
This includes grants towards legal advice, counselling, relocation, soft furnishings and stamp duty exemption if buying another house.
Mr D’Ermilio said those choosing to retain their land could start rebuilding as soon as the block was returned after demolition.
“Nothing will begin until you are happy with what you’ve been told,” he said.
“At any point if you believe it’s getting a bit too much you can easily hop out and move back into option one of selling your property.”