The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for parts of the Riverina.
“Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours,” the BOM said in a statement released at 2pm on Wednesday.
“Locations which may be affected include Albury, Deniliquin, Griffith, Hay, Narrandera, Wentworth, Ivanhoe, Menindee, Balranald, Jerilderie, Hillston and Darlington Point.”
The State Emergency Service (SES) advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES on 132 500.
The next warning will be issued by 5.05 pm.