POLICE are investigating the cause of a car crash that killed a man at Holbrook at the weekend.
The 77-year-old had been driving a single-cab Holden Rodeo on the Culcairn Holbrook Road on Sunday afternoon.
The vehicle, which was travelling east towards the town, left the road and hit a tree about midday.
Paramedics attended and treated the driver, but he died at the scene.
Detective Inspector Winston Woodward said it was unclear what had caused the utility to to leave the road.
“It’s a sad day for the members of the family left behind,” he said.
“It was also a sad day for police, SES and NSW Ambulance, who attended on the day to attempt to rescue the man.”
The vehicle was towed from the scene and will be examined as part of the investigation.
There was heavy rainfall on Sunday, but Detective Inspector Woodward did not say if that had contributed to the crash.
It’s a sad day for the members of the family left behind
“It’s a very sad outcome for the family, a very sad outcome for those that attended on the day,” he said.
The crash was one of several recent incidents police have attended in recent days.
Another person has been charged with large-scale ice trafficking as part of a drugs strike force.
A 35-year-old was extradited from Castlemaine to Albury late last week after being charged with three counts of supplying ice.
It's alleged the man was involved in supplying 150 grams of the drug.
Detective Inspector Woodward said he believed the operation had led to a decline in ice dealing, and noted there were other strike force operations under way.
In an unrelated matter, detectives have also charged a second Howlong man after an incident involving a sawn-off shotgun on July 23.
Police arrested the man on Saturday and he was denied bail in Albury Local Court on Monday.
Joseph Keenes, who was arrested a day after the incident, is alleged to have been the main offender, with the second man said to have played a lesser role.
It's alleged the sawn-off firearm was taken to a Read Street home in a vigilante attack.
The second man has been charged with two counts of using an offensive weapon in company.
He will return to court next month.